Adjust your status. Bring your family closer together. Call us today


Frequently asked questions about K-3 spouse visas

Applying for a visa to enter the United States can be an intimidating process. Whether you are a U.S. citizen looking to help your spouse enter the country or a foreign national who recently married a U.S. citizen, you probably have a lot of questions.

Below we provide answers to basic questions about K-3 spouse visas, a common method married couples use to ensure they can legally live together in the U.S.

How does U.S. immigration define “spouse?”

According to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, a spouse is someone you are legally married to. Same-sex couples have the same immigration rights as opposite-sex couples. Although a common-law marriage can qualify depending on the laws of the country the immigrant spouse is from, just living together is not enough.

How long does it take to obtain a K-3 visa?

It depends. Applications that are missing information or are not filled out correctly often take longer.

Is there anything that could disqualify me from getting a K-3?

These are called “visa ineligibilities.” You may be ineligible for a K-3 visa if:

  • You work for a foreign government
  • Your application does not comply with the Immigration and Nationality Act
  • You have not had the required vaccines
  • You have been convicted of a serious crime, such as drug trafficking

What do I do with the sealed packet that comes with my new visa?

Do not open it. A Department of Homeland Security immigration official must be the one to open it when you enter the country. All you need is the K-3 visa, which is inside your passport.  

Avoid Costly Mistakes

Applying for a visa involves tracking down a lot of documents and following complicated immigration rules. It is easy to get overwhelmed. Working with a skilled immigration attorney can help. Learn more about K-3 spouse visas before taking the next step towards your new life in the U.S. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Your Case Evaluated Free

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

We only handle immigration cases, offering you experienced legal guidance in Spanish and English.

Trevino Immigration Law | 9601 McAllister Freeway | Suite 314 | San Antonio, TX 78216 | Toll Free: 877-464-5593 | Phone: 210-544-5105 | Fax: 210-568-4649 | Map & Directions

map image