Don’t work up problems in the E-visa program

On Behalf of | May 5, 2017 | Employment Immigration

Texas is one of the largest of all 50 states. Its vast landscapes are filled with people of diverse backgrounds, races and ethnicities. Many are born and raised right here in the Lone Star State. Others emigrate from across the nation. Then, there are those who cross Texas borders from lands across the sea, many of whom take up residence through employment-based visa programs. If you came to the United States to work, the last thing you need is for problems to arise with your visa or status.

As you likely already know, a prospective employer is also under obligation with regard to workers hired through employment-based visas. Typically, one of the first things an employer must do is obtain certification approval from the Department of Labor. This is merely one step in what is often a very complex process. If an employer fails to follow through on his or her end of the deal, an immigrant worker like yourself may face a whole lot of problems.

Reviewing types of E-visas

You can usually stay one step ahead of the game by researching and learning as much as you can about immigration law in the United States, especially when you plan to seek temporary residence through employment. Following is a list of different categories that separate various types of employment-based visas. A quick review may help ensure you choose the appropriate category when submitting an application:

  • Immigration issues E-1 visas to top priority workers. This category is unique in that it does not need labor certification. Close to 30 percent of all employment visas go to workers in this category. Employees in this category are generally multinational executives, professors, researchers or persons with extraordinary ability in science, athletics, arts, business or education.
  • E-2 visas also pertain to professionals with supreme abilities and those who hold advanced academic degrees. However, unlike E-1 workers, those in the second category do need labor certification.
  • E-3 workers are skilled and unskilled workers, and other professionals. Professionals in this category must hold at least a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent abroad. Skilled workers usually have at least two years of experience and/or training in a non-seasonal field, while unskilled workers have less.
  • Authorities reserve the E-4 visa category for special immigrants. Broadcasters, ministers and some translators fall into this category.

There’s also a fifth category that issues visas to immigrant investors who help boost job creation in the United States by investing in commercial enterprises here.

If it’s your first time navigating the employment-based visa program, you’ll also want to be aware of the various fees and applications required to be eligible. Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 may also apply for visas alongside a family member submitting an employment-based visa application.

If you run into problems before you obtain your visa or after you arrive in the United States, it’s good to know where to turn for help in order to rectify the situation as swiftly as possible. An experienced immigration attorney can be a great asset in all aspects of the immigration process.