Things to know regarding an I-601 waiver

On Behalf of | May 4, 2018 | Firm News

Few things may be more stressful for you as an immigrant than seeking valid entrance to Texas by navigating the formal application process. While you’ve likely been studying hard to learn how to speak, read and write in English, you may still have a language barrier that makes communication with fluent English speakers difficult. If you think it sounds like everyone talks fast and all their words start to run together, you’re definitely not alone in your struggle.

If the U.S. government rejects your application on grounds of inadmissibility, you may feel disappointed and worried that you’ll never achieve your goals of building a new life in a place you heard was the land of opportunity. It may surprise you to learn that an initial application denial does not necessarily mean you can never realize your dreams of living in America. In fact, you may be able to file an I-601 waiver to overcome the obstacles that are impeding your entrance or adjustment of status.

What is an I-601 and who can file?

The I-601 waiver application is a document immigrants or non-immigrants who are eligible may file to request that the U.S. government waive their inadmissibility status. The following list tells who can file, as well as other useful information about the process:

  • Those seeking permanent residency status adjustment
  • Certain non-immigrant visa applicants
  • Those seeking temporary protected statuses, such as a U visa status
  • Those applying for status adjustments based on the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act 902

The grounds of inadmissibility that the government will waive are restricted. Even if you meet the criteria for those permitted to file an I-601, the grounds for which you seek a waiver must be on the approved list. Examples of grounds that the government is sometimes willing to waive include health reasons, some criminal grounds and barred time due to previous unlawful presence in the United States.

If you have a family member who has already gained permanent residency in Texas or elsewhere in the U.S., it may increase your chances of obtaining an I-601 waiver. If you’re unsure of your rights or need help understanding what steps to take to petition U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for a waiver of inadmissibility, you can tap into immigrant advocate resources through one of many available support networks.