I’ve misplaced my green card. Can I get a replacement?

On Behalf of | Nov 30, 2022 | Family Immigration

Each year, thousands of foreign nationals earn the privilege to live and work in the U.S. permanently. As a U.S. permanent resident, you will be issued a green card. This is proof that you are lawfully in the country. As such, it goes without saying that this is a very important document. But what happens if you misplace your green card?

Misplacing your green card may not have a direct impact on your residency status or your day-to-day life. While you are technically required to carry this card around as proof of your status, it is rare that you will ever need to show it to someone. However, this is not to say that you do not have to get a replacement for a lost green card.

So when should you replace your green card?

Generally, you need to replace your green card under the following circumstances:

  • If your card is lost, stolen or damaged
  • If your green card has inaccurate information such as your name or age
  • If you never received an original green card
  • If your green card is expired
  • If you have legally changed your name or other personal information like sexual orientation

The process of replacing a misplaced or lost green card

The process of replacing a green card begins by filling out an Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card form, also known as Form I-90. You can only fill out this form within the U.S., so if you are abroad, then you will need to return to the country before initiating the process of replacing your green card.

Yes, you can replace a misplaced green card. Find out how you can safeguard your rights and interests when working out a replacement for your green card.