How to prove someone is a relative to bring them to the U.S.

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2023 | Family Immigration

If you are a permanent resident or a green card holder, you can bring a relative to the U.S. The United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS) has a petition for alien relatives (Form I-130), which you can fill out to help an eligible relative immigrate to the U.S. and get a green card.

However, you will need to prove your relationship with the interested party. Here is how you can do that:

Provide documents confirming the relationship

You should submit documents that show you are related to the person you are filing the petition for. For instance, if it’s your brother or sister, provide birth certificates to establish you share a mother, father or both. For your children, you will provide their birth certificates, proving you are the parent.

If it’s your spouse, you need evidence that shows you entered the marriage in good faith (bona fide) – a marriage certificate may not be enough. The USCIS wants to confirm you didn’t get married for immigration purposes. Thus, consider submitting letters from your loved ones addressing either spouse or both mailed to the address where you were living together.

Documents proving joint property ownership are also reliable evidence for bona fide marriage. You can also provide proof of raising children together, such as birth certificates with both your names, medical records of pregnancy or fertility treatment, and so on.

Double-check your information before submitting

Before submitting your petition and any attached evidence, you should double-check to ensure everything is correct. Mistakes may lower your chances of approval.

Establishing a relationship when filing a petition for alien relatives is crucial. It will help to get legal guidance to avoid costly mistakes.