Are you hoping to bring your foreign fiance to the United States?

On Behalf of | Aug 13, 2020 | Firm News

Getting married is an exciting time in any Texas resident’s life. Planning a wedding can certainly prove complicated, but for individuals who want to marry a non-citizen, the process may be even more tricky. Fortunately, that does not mean that it is impossible. You will just need to go through more steps and will likely need more assistance.

If you live in the United States and met your fiancé while abroad or through online connection, you may have planned for your fiancé to come to the U.S. to live. If this is the case, he or she will need to obtain a visa in order to travel to the country.

The K1 visa

The K1 visa is also known as the fiancé visa because it allows a foreign individual who is engaged to a United States citizen to come to the country in order to get married. In order to qualify for this visa, you and your fiancé must have seen each other in person at least once within the last two years. Your fiancé can apply for the K1 visa, and if approved, he or she may come to the United States.

Getting married

After arriving in the country on a fiancé visa, you and your fiancé must get married within 90 days of his or her arrival. Though planning a wedding can take time, it is important that you adhere to this time frame. If the marriage does not take place within the allotted 90 days, your fiancé will need to leave the country, which can cause delays and other complications for your future together.

Adjustment of status

After getting married, your fiancé can apply for an adjustment of his or her immigration status in order to obtain a green card. This process will involve filing the proper forms and taking any steps deemed necessary by the United States Customs and Immigration Service, which could include an interview with USCIS agents about your relationship.

Because you do not want anything to go wrong during this process, you may want to ensure that you have the right information about your fiancé’s immigration options. By working with an experienced immigration law attorney, you can better understand how to move forward with this process and how you can better your fiancé’s chances of avoiding unnecessary complications and delays when it comes to arriving in the country and moving forward with your marriage.