Do you qualify for a fiance visa?

On Behalf of | Sep 21, 2022 | Family Immigration

If you are a U.S. citizen and plan on marrying a foreign national currently not in the United States, you can use a fiance visa to accomplish that. This type of visa allows your partner entry into the country to get married shortly after their arrival.

Your spouse may apply for permanent residence after marriage by adjusting their status. However, not every aspiring couple qualifies for a fiance visa, as discussed below.

What you require for a fiance visa

First, the sponsoring partner in the U.S. must be a citizen. Green Card holders are not eligible to sponsor their partner for a fiance visa. Second, both partners must be legally qualified for marriage. If either partner was previously married, they have to provide divorce decrees or death certificates that show termination of the previous marriage.

You must also legitimize the relationship by providing evidence of activities you have done together. For instance, you need to have physically met at least once in the last two years unless external circumstances did not allow it.

Photographs, hotel reservations, or even testimony from friends can all show that your relationship is legitimate and that you are not out to take advantage of the system. You will also need to provide signed statements of your intention to marry each other within 90 days of your partner’s arrival to the U.S.

Finally, the U.S. citizen sponsoring the fiance visa must meet income requirements that will ensure that you can cover their living expenses.

Learn more about how a fiance visa works

It is crucial to understand how everything works with a fiance visa. That way, you will avoid making mistakes during the application stages that could delay or derail your plans. It will also help you prepare for a fresh start to life in the U.S. as a married couple.