Marrying A US Citizen And Lawful Permanent Residency

Marrying a U.S. citizen is a unique path to lawful permanent residency (LPR or green card status) with very short wait times and other advantages. At Trevino Immigration Law, in San Antonio, our lawyers can guide you through the process of obtaining a marriage-based green card.

Immigrants who obtain a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, may be eligible for naturalization after just three years instead of the usual five years. Additionally, any children you may have had prior to your marriage may also be eligible for green cards right away.

It is important to speak with one of our attorneys about the particulars of your unique case. Whether you are planning to be married or are currently married, there are several steps to accomplish before obtaining permanent residency, a fiancé visa (K-1) or a spouse visa (K-3).

Mistakes in the process can be costly and time-consuming, but a dependable attorney can guide you through the process smoothly and efficiently.

Attorney David Trevino has devoted his practice exclusively to immigration law for over 14 years, and our firm has helped countless individuals and families throughout Texas achieve their immigration goals over the years.

Getting A Green Card And Becoming An LPR Through Marriage To A US Citizen

You may be eligible for a green card through either adjustment of status within the U.S. or consular processing in your home country. This is largely determined by your method of entry into the U.S.:

  • Entry on a fiancé visa: If you are currently living outside the country, you may be eligible for a K-1 visa nonimmigrant visa, which will likely qualify you for adjustment of status once the marriage has taken place.
  • Entry on another nonimmigrant visa: You will likely be eligible for adjustment of status after marriage if you entered the U.S. on a student visa, temporary work visa or other nonimmigrant visa and are not subject to any other ground of inadmissibility.
  • Entry on a visa waiver: You may be eligible for adjustment of status after marriage if you entered on a visa waiver for travel or business.
  • Illegal entry: You will likely be required to attend a consular appointment in your home country and present an approved provisional waiver for unlawful presence before you can be issued a green card if you entered the U.S. illegally prior to marriage.

Consult An Attorney Who Will Get The Job Done

Speak with attorney Trevino in an initial consultation and discover what exceptions and special status categories might affect your case. Please contact us online or call us at 210-544-5105 to schedule a one-on-one meeting.

Hablamos español.